WWF Sweden has extensive experience of working with young people and education in several countries. One intervention is the Africa Youth Thematic Hub which aims to strengthen young people and civil society in seven African countries: Cameroon, the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Kenya, Madagascar, Namibia, Tanzania and Uganda.
AYTH is part of the SIDA- funded program Leading The Change (LtC) whose overall ultimate desired outcome is:
“People and communities in programme areas are effectively exercising their rights, controlling decisions and equitably receiving benefits from natural resources, and contributing to the sustainable management of key ecosystems and habitat.”
An important part of the program is also to work with Human Right Based Approach and Gender equality.
The purpose of AYTH is to strengthen young people and give them the abilities and opportunities to become leaders who can bring about transformation change.
The work is based on four strategies:
- Advancing Policy which seeks to promote the adoption of policies that mainstream sustainability, and youth participation in decision-making related to conservation and green growth;
- Capacity Building is seeking to ensure a critical mass of youth is using their technical and leadership skills to drive sustainable transformational change;
- Green Entrepreneurship Development component is seeking to ensure that youths in Africa are able to act as green entrepreneurs and create, innovate and develop solutions for sustainable livelihoods and economies; and the
- Networking Platforms component is seeking to ensure that a vibrant coalition of Pan African youth networks are bringing transformational change towards sustainability.
Examples of some efforts and results:
For more information contact: Susie.Broquist.email@example.com
The Pan Africa Youth Networks
- African Network of Young Leaders for Peace and Sustainable Development ANYL4SPD
- The Network of Young Environmental Actors for Central African Forests REJEFAC
- Young Volunteers for the Environment JVE
- Catholic Youth Network for Environmental Sustainability in Africa CYNESA
- International Support Network for African Development ISNAD – Africa
Senast ändrad 13/01/22